Velkommen til Esbjerg Kommune - Forside

Gå til hovedindhold (Tryk Enter)

Childcare as newcomers

It is important that children get off to a good start when moving to a new place. For families, it is therefore particularly important that childcare is managed so that the little ones can feel welcome and at home in Esbjerg Municipality.

If you have just arrived or are on your way here, it is a good idea to enroll your children for childcare.

You can enroll your children on the childcare waiting list before you move here. We recommend to everyone that they sign up as soon as possible as the date of enrollment is what determines the position on the waiting list.

Do you not yet know where you are going to live?

Normally, you can only enroll to a single enrollment district. However, if you do not yet know where you will end up living because you are a newcomer to the area, you can enroll in tree districts. To take advantage of this option, you need to write a comment about it in the “notes” field when enrolling electronically.

How to enroll for childcare

Enroll your child for childcare

Choose 'Tilmelding dagtilbud' and 'Opskrivning 0-2' for children age 0-2 years or 'Opskrivning 3-5' for children age 3-5years to enter the enrollment form. Google translate can help with the form as it is in Danish.

Enrollment form

Questions about enrolling your child for childcare?

If you have questions, please contact Diana Dahl Jørgensen.

Phone number:  +45 7616 1840

Not in Denmark yet and need help enrolling?

We are here to help

In case you and your child are not yet residents in Denmark, you can send an email to to get help to enroll for a future need.

Care guarantee for newcomers

In Esbjerg, as a newcomer, you are guaranteed care for your child

As newcomers, you are guaranteed a place no later than one month after the enrollment date (however no sooner than your relocation has been registered with Civil Registration at the Citizen Service). Esbjerg Municipality cannot guarantee that you will get the exact spot you wish for, but you will be certain to get a spot in the guaranteed district. 

On this dynamic map, you can get an overview of the location of care services.

Private childcare in Esbjerg Municipality

Are you considering private care for your child?

There are several private day-carers and private childcare institutions in Esbjerg Municipality. Should you wish to enroll your children at one of these, you should contact the institution or day-carer directly. You will find a list of private day-carers here 

About childcare in Denmark

In Denmark, children in the age of 6 months until they turn age 3 (age 0-2) are cared for either in a daycare institution (vuggestue in Danish) or by a day-carer who works at home (in many cases hired by the municipality). 
Children from age 3 and until school start (age 3-5) attend kindergarten (børnehave in Danish). Some daycare institutions and kindergartens are housed at the same location, which enables children to remain at the same facility during the entire period of childcare.

You will find both municipal and private options. For municipal solutions you need to sign up online. For private options contact the place directly to sign up.
The municipality of Esbjerg will as a minimum pay 75% of the costs for childcare, leaving you to pay up to 25%. You will receive a sibling discount of 50% if you have more than one child in childcare.