If there is a conflict between a tenant and the property owner, one can turn to the Tenant Complaint Board, if the conflict is with a housing association or to the Rental Board, if the conflict is with a private landlord.
The Tenant Complaint Board (beboerklagenævn)
The Tenant Complaint Board can be used to settle a dispute between a housing association and a tenant. They do, however, not handle complaints to settle a dispute about the price.
Read more about the Tenant Complaint Board here.
The Rental Board (huslejenævnet)
The Rental Board is used for conflicts with private landlord or private rental agencies. The Rental board can, for example, be used if a tenant wishes to complain or settle a dispute about the price set for rent or the maintenance or condition of an apartment, etc.
If you wish to take your case to the Rental Board, it must be in writing. The letter must include:
- a description of the disagreement
- a statement about what you want the Rental Board to make a decision about
- a copy of the rental agreement and any other relevant documents
- a copy of any correspondence that has occurred between the parties in relation to the disagreement up until now.
Be aware that before submitting a case to the board, you are expected to contact your landlord or rental agency directly to attempt to resolve the matter, and if you submit a case to the board, you are expected to include a copy of theses correspondences, if possible.
Please note that a small fee applies.
You can deliver your letter in person during office hours or send it by email or mail to the address below.
Huslejenævnet (Rental Board)
Esbjerg Rådhus, Torvegade 74
Tel. + 45 76 16 12 16 (during office hours)
Tuesday to Friday 9AM – 1PM
The fee can be paid to Esbjerg Municipality
- via bank transfer to Nordea A/S, Reg. Nr. 2540, Kontonr. 644 88 66 864
- to Esbjerg Municipality’s girokonto 3 01 07 16
- by sending a check to Huslejenævnet
- by contacting the office during opening hours
When you pay, remember to include a reference (if possible, a reference number).
Read more about the Rental Board here.